Candle Care Tips

Candles are a great addition to our home's decor for their scent and glow. There is more to candles than you think. The light it and let it burn approach may not give you the best experience. We put together a few tips to improve your candle enjoyment experience. 


Place your candle in a location that is a safe surface to avoid heat damage. Keep away from drafts, within sight, and out of reach from children and pets.

Trim Your Wick

Most candles come with the wick cut to the proper length for optimal burning. The wick length should be 1/4" from the wax. Wooden wick candles, trimming your wick to the proper length before each burn will extend your candle's 'life' and prevent issues like sooting. If you cut the wick too short it will burn out. 

The First Burn

When lighting for the first time, burn the candle until wax melts across the entire surface up to the sides of container as this will prevent tunneling, and create an even burn for the duration of the candle's 'life'. You should burn your candle for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours. 

Keep the Wax Clean

Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times. 

Fragrance Performance

If your candle is not releasing a strong fragrance make sure to burn your candle for 3-4 hours each time you light the candle. This will allow the wax and wick to heat properly and emit fragrance. Move your candle to another location to avoid drafts from vents or fans.

Keep in mind that single wick candles are meant to be used in smaller rooms. Double or triple wick candles work best in larger rooms.

Extinguishing Your Candle

Extinguish candle with a snuffer, or dip the wick into the melted wax and then straighten wick to prevent smoking and also prevent hot wax from splattering. Do not blow out.

Using a metal lid on the candle to extinguish the flame. Assuming the lid has no flammable material on it, such as a rubber gasket, it's technically not a problem to snuff out the flame by using the lid. However, smoke will be trapped inside, which could affect the scent.

Additional Tips

Do not burn a candle that has 1/4" or less of wax in the container. Use a candle warmer for the remaining wax. When the majority of the wax has been consumed, the flame will heat the container making the bottom of the jar hot which can cause heat damage to the container and surface. 

Do not burn a candle in a jar that has been damaged. Burning a candle in a broken jar is dangerous and we recommend you to discontinue use. Even the smallest crack can allow hot wax to escape the container.

When your candle is ready to retire, you may clean out the remaining wax and reuse or recycle the container.